24th Annual 5K Run, Walk & Roll
Saturday, May 19,
Family and friends gather for a memorable morning including a timed 5K race or a walk through Liberty Park at their own pace. Participants will enjoy music, food and a chance at prizes. Only those who register prior to this event are guaranteed an event t-shirt.
Use Coupon Code EARLYBIRD18 for 10% off your entire order thru March.
Have a brain injury? Need help?Please call 801-716-4993 or contact us.
For those whose lives have been affected by a brain injury you understand the obstacles, the heartache, the confusion and grief that accompany your recovery. If you are a caregiver for someone who has suffered a brain injury, your appreciation has grown for normal...
Donate to the BIAUCall 801-716-4993!
Volunteer Your TimeJoin Our Community
- Volunteer in the office! Join us for special events. 5K Run, or the Family & Professionals Conference. Prevention support.
Be HeadsmartBike Helmet For Sale!
- For only $10 you can buy a brand new bike helmet! Save a head. Buy onlline or walk in our office to save on shipping.
Support UsWe ♥ Donations
- Family & Professionals Conference, HeadSmart program, $5 helmets, Support Groups, Advocacy
Become A MemberStarting At
- Discounted event tickets Quarterly newsletter Brain injury resources Free bike helmets Recognition
- concerns or complaints about services in the community
- questions about rights,
- access to appropriate services,
- ideas for making services better; and
- general questions or the need for information concerning services for persons with traumatic brain injuries
- learn more!
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Did you know?
- Every 23 seconds, one person in the U.S. sustains a brain injury
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is a silent yet serious epidemic currently leaving 5.3 million Americans with disabilities. This represents over- 2% of the US population; 56,000 victims in Utah alone!
- Falls are the leading cause of TBI. Rates are highest for children aged 0-4 years and for adults aged 75 years and older.
- Motor vehicle-traffic injury is the leading cause of TBI-related death. Rates are highest for adults aged 20-24 years.
- There was a 62% increase in fall-related TBI seen in emergency departments among children aged 14 years and younger from 2002 to 2006.
- Every 7 minutes, someone dies of a brain injury
- One death every day and one brain injury every four minutes can be prevented by the use of helmets in recreational activities, including skiing and biking.
- An estimated 1.7 million people sustain a TBI annually.
- 52,000 die, 275,000 are hospitalized, and 1.365 million, nearly 80% are treated and released from an emergency department.
- In Utah, 500 die, over 2,000 are hospitalized and 20,000 are treated and released from an emergency department each year.