Have a brain injury? Need help?
Please call 801-716-4993 or contact us.
Donate to the BIAU
Resources For Those That Suffer With Brain Injury
Find the right community resources for your brain injury needs. Call our office at 801-716-4993 or toll free at 800-281-8442 to schedule a free consultation!
Volunteer Your TimeJoin Our Community
- Volunteer in the office!
- Join us for special events.
- 5K Run, or the Family & Professionals Conference.
- Prevention support.
Be HeadsmartBike Helmet For Sale!
- For only $5 you can buy a brand new bike helmet! Save a head. Buy a helmet.
- Only protect the brain you want to keep.
- Sponsor a helmet with a small donation.
Support UsWe ♥ Donations
- Family & Professionals Conference
- HeadSmart program
- $5 helmets
- Support Groups
If you are one of the thousands of people who are faced with brain injury, you may be scared and confused. We have resources, connections, and support groups that can help offer hope, clarity, and sense of direction when it comes to living life to the fullest possibilities after brain injury. You are not alone. Together, we will not only survive, but thrive through the challenges ahead.
Advocacy Services are available to assist you overcoming the delay, injustice or impersonal delivery of services.
At BIAU we assist people with brain injuries with the following:
- concerns or complaints about services in the community
- questions about rights,
- access to appropriate services,
- ideas for making services better; and
- general questions or the need for information concerning services for persons with traumatic brain injuries
- learn more!
Part of our mission includes being a resource for those who have been affected by brain injury. We have an enormous library of information and connections that can help you find the right answers, from emergency care to finding resources and advocates for your situation. If you can’t find what you are looking for, don’t hesitate to call our office at 801-716-4993. We are your partners when it comes to learning, discovering, and managing a situation that can be filled with challenges and obstacles. Learn more!
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Did you know?
- Every 23 seconds, one person in the U.S. sustains a brain injury
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is a silent yet serious epidemic currently leaving 5.3 million Americans with disabilities. This represents over- 2% of the US population; 56,000 victims in Utah alone!
- Falls are the leading cause of TBI. Rates are highest for children aged 0-4 years and for adults aged 75 years and older.
- Motor vehicle-traffic injury is the leading cause of TBI-related death. Rates are highest for adults aged 20-24 years.
- There was a 62% increase in fall-related TBI seen in emergency departments among children aged 14 years and younger from 2002 to 2006.
- Every 7 minutes, someone dies of a brain injury
- One death every day and one brain injury every four minutes can be prevented by the use of helmets in recreational activities, including skiing and biking.
- An estimated 1.7 million people sustain a TBI annually.
- 52,000 die, 275,000 are hospitalized, and 1.365 million, nearly 80% are treated and released from an emergency department.
- In Utah, 500 die, over 2,000 are hospitalized and 20,000 are treated and released from an emergency department each year.
Who does BIAU help?
The Brain Injury Alliance of Utah serves Utahans and their families who have sustained a brain injury. We provide free one on one coaching, known as Resource Facilitation, after an accident or injury, include directing you to legal, medical and emotional support. We help elementary kids learn about head safety with our program called HeadSmart. Through community events we educate and bring awareness about brain injury and its prevention.
How much does it cost to make an appointment?
It costs nothing to make an appointment. All of the one on one consulting we do with families and individuals with brain injury is free. We receive our funding from grants and generous support from those in our community. Our resource facilitation is available short term or long term, depending upon your needs. Call 801-716-4993 today for a free consultation!